January 28, 2013
I’m still shaken up about an incident that happened last week at our local Wal-Mart. It really hit way too close to home and got me to thinking a lot about safety.
A Mom and daughter stopped at the store around 7:00 p.m. to pick up a quick birthday present on their way to a party. Mom got out of the car to move a basket in a parking spot so she could pull in. (Oh, how many times have I done this!) A Man surprised Mom and put a gun to her head. After shoving her aside, he steals her purse and car with her 7 year old daughter still inside. Thankfully, the man let the daughter go. Well, he told the young girl to get out when they reached the garden center and she jumped. Both Mom and daughter got away with scratches, bruises and a lot of mental anguish that will take some time to heal. This looser still hasn’t been found.
Ladies, we must be vigilant in our daily routines. Check a third or fourth time before getting out of your car, even if you’re in your own driveway or garage. Put those cell phones down and pay attention. At all times.
I for one am guilty of getting so wrapped up in my “to do list,” I’m not as cautious as I should be. Especially at home.
A Few Home Safety Tips
* A pile of newspapers in the driveway is a dead giveaway you’re gone. Even a pizza flyer on your front door can be used to see how long it takes you to remove it.
*If it snows while you’re out of town, get a neighbor to create a few car and foot tracks leading up to the house.
* A burglar might knock first. If you answer, they’ll ask for directions somewhere or offer to clean your gutters. If you don’t answer or let them know someone is home, they might just come on in.
* A burglar won’t have enough time to break into that safe where you keep your valuables. But if it’s not bolted down, they can take it with them.
* A loud TV or radio can be a better deterrent than the best alarm system. If you’re reluctant to leave your TV on while you’re out of town or just running errands, buy a timer.
* Sometimes, a burglar carries a clipboard or dresses like a lawn guy with a rake. I bet they never try to look like a crook.
* Two things burglars hate most: loud dogs and nosy neighbors.
* Fake Security Camera with Blinking Light LOOKS REAL!
* Shut those windows and blinds before dark. It’s way too easy to see if you’re home, or what kind of goodies you have inside through those windows.
* Leave your keys by your bed. If you hear something outside at night, set off your car alarm.
**** Don’t announce you’re on vacation, or heading out to run errands on your Facebook page or twitter account. Pictures during the trip probably are not a good idea either! With all those changes FB goes through, who knows who is seeing what anymore.
There is a lot of controversy these days over guns, and what needs to be done. I’m not here to push my views on anyone, but this was the shove I needed to sign up to get my CHL. Sad truth. A criminal will always find a way to get a gun. I just want to make sure I’m trained and ready to protect my kids.