January 7, 2013
First I want to wish everyone a Very Happy New Year!
I don’t know about you, but I cannot get used to writing 2013. It just feels so weird. I mean, when I was little, we dreamed of having “hover cars” in the year 2000. It seemed so far away back then and now we are already up to year 2o13. Unbelievable. So, where the heck is my hover car anyway?? LOL
For the past few years, I’ve been really busy, revising, editing, polishing, learning how to format, learning Photoshop, and trying to work on some kind of marketing strategy. I’ll be honest. The last one still leaves me completely clueless.
This year will be the first time in a long time I get to devote to coming up with new material. I can’t tell you how refreshing that sounds. I love to write, to create new characters and then put them through all kinds of fun and frustrating situations. I’m so excited to dive back in it’s got me a little worried. What if I can’t? What if the words don’t come? Or if they do, what if they’re all a bunch of baloney that even I don’t want to read.
Sigh… Time to get a grip and remember that the only way to find out is to just do it. Yep, the only way to know the outcome is to welcome the challenge, explore the possibilities, and never stop learning and practicing.
I’ve signed up for our very own Gwen Hernandez’s Scrivener class in February so I can learn this amazing program. I’ve seen some of it in action and I’m very impressed. This will be the way I stay organized in 2013. I can’t wait!
Things I learned in 2012:
- My family really can get along without me. At least for a few days. Having two bunion surgeries back to back over the summer was good for all of us.
- Oldest daughter knew exactly what she was talking about when it come to the SAT scores and college applications.
- Middle daughter was paying attention when instructions for driving were being given and passed her driving test with flying colors.
- Son will make it through middle school. He’s just going to do it “HIS WAY!” (Save me now!)
- *Most Important! Group texts can get you into a lot of trouble and be a great source of comic relief for teenagers. We learned this the hard way on New Year’s Eve.
Oldest daughter sent out “Happy New Year” group text to Mom and Dad and who knows how many of her friends.
Dad accidentally replies, “I’m on my way!” to oldest daughter when trying to text middle daughter, who is needing a ride home.
Dad starts getting weird texts: “Who are you?” “????” “Why?” “I don’t care!”
Both of us are confused until the next morning when Nana text back: “Well, if you are on your way, I better go do my hair!”
After further investigation, we figured out what happened. Dad’s text went to every one of oldest daughter’s friends, plus my mom! It’s really kind of funny. I’ll be extra careful from now on. Those group texts could get you into a lot of trouble!! LOL
Dang, I had no idea I could learn so much. LOL You really can teach an old dog new tricks. 😉
What’s the best thing you learned in 2012?