January 1, 2015
Happy 2015, everyone! I thought for the first post of the new year, we could talk about resolutions. Now, like just about everyone else, I make a resolution but I’m not sure I’ve ever kept one. So, therefore, for this post, I thought I’d make multiple resolutions. Maybe if I make five or so I can wind up at the end of this year having completed one. 🙂
So, here we go:
1. READ MORE BOOKS – in 2014, I read three books. That’s it. 3! The good news is, I LOVED every single one of them. I liked them so much I thought I’d share. So, maybe you can pick one of these to read in 2015. The first, OUTLANDER, by Diana Gabaldon. http://www.amazon.com/Outlander-Novel-Book-1-ebook/dp/B000FC2L1O/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1420035624&sr=1-1&keywords=outlander
I know. I know. Where have I been? Under a rock, literally. I was wooed in to the OUTLANDER world because of the STARZ program, and well, let’s just say I got hooked. So, if you’ve been under the same rock as I and haven’t read the book, do it.
The second, ALL FIRED UP by Kate Meader. Kate and I share the same agent, and I’ve met her once (very nice lady, btw) but I know a lot of romance writers that I’ve never read their work. Well, I ran across a description of this book in the RT Magazine and the review glowed so I thought I’d give it a try. This book is 5 stars in my opinion. So, I recommend it if you haven’t read any of Kate’s work. Its book 2 in a series, I skipped book one…I mean let’s get straight to the good stuff…Shane the pastry chef, hot damn!
Lastly, I tried another author who was new to me and was immediately hooked. The author, Kristen Ashley. The book, OWN THE WIND. Yeah, its rough, and there’s more F bombs than an episode of BREAKING BAD, but I fell in love with the conversational tone of the book, as if there heroine was telling her story to me. I wasn’t in the shoes of the heroine, but I was her best friend, and she was dishing up all the events of her life. Which for me, as a reader, was a cool experience. Here’s the cover. Enjoy!
2. MEET NEW FRIENDS – Ugh. I’d rather work than meet people. Friends take time, effort and caring (even sometimes when you don’t). But, this year I’ve learned that living in a new house, in a new state, I need to go out there and expand my network and meet new people. So, like it or not, I hope to extend my olive branch a little more this year and say “Hi!”
3. DON’T STRESS OUT – Making a living as an author / publicist with two books releasing in 2015 kinda gives me a headache if you think about it. Plus, I naturally start to retreat into my “work above everything else mode”, however its not healthy. And, having your head stuck in “book world” all the time, isn’t healthy either. So, I am going to make a conscious effort to take things as they come, plan for what I can, and don’t stress over the little stuff.
4. EAT MORE CHOCOLATE – Which will be required to accomplish resolutions 2 and 3. At this point, I’m already leaning toward the FLIPZ white chocolate covered pretzels. Have you tried them? No. Don’t. I want them all.
5. TRAVEL MORE – My husband and I did manage to make it down to Key West this year, a place I’d never been. But, there are other places I’d like to go. I’m lucky that I’m speaking at a lot of conferences this year and I’ll have an opportunity to get out and see some new places, and revisit some old ones. Top of the list for 2015 is Harry Potter World at Universal in Orlando with my son.
So, do you have more than 1 resolution, or is one all you can handle in 2015. What are you planning for the new year? Inquiring minds want to know.