I have been a voracious reader since I was 4 years old. All my life, catching me *not* in the middle of the book would be akin to hitting the lottery with the numbers from LOST. (4 8 15 16 23 42, in case you don’t remember). But I’ve always been a serial monogamist bookworm. One book at a time, beginning to end. I always finished them, unless they were assigned reading and had five-page sentences (I’m looking at you, Faulkner!). When Number Two was born, I started tossing books aside if they didn’t hold me. That was tough. Wasted money, and all that. But time was short, and life getting shorter.
And then came the Kindle.
And now I’m a total slut.
On any given day, you can peek at my Goodreads currently reading list and see 3 or 4 books. Maybe even 5, in the right circumstances! Here’s how it works:
1. I start a new book on my Kindle Paperwhite (birthday present, 2012). I leave the Paperwhite on my nightstand.
2. Time for lunch on my day “off”! I grab one of the neglected paperbacks from my official TBR bookcase (or the neglected paperback I’ve been leaving all over the house for two weeks, reading snatches here and there).
3. My computer hangs, or I’m uploading files from my Neo to the computer, which renders it unusable. I grab my Kindle Keyboard, 2nd gen, and open one of the older TBR books that I bought pre-Paperwhite.
4. Treadmill! The iPod is so much easier to handle while I’m walking. Right now I’m reading via the Nook app, books I bought with a Christmas B&N gift card. I have a few books I won that are in the iBooks app, and of course I can access my Kindle library via that app.
5. A library book is in! Since these have deadlines, I’ll start reading them as soon as I get them. I don’t use the library that often. Just for some of the hardcovers I’m not dying to read immediately, don’t want to pay for, but also don’t want to wait for a lower-priced format to be released.
It’s gotten so that if I finish a bunch of books in quick succession and have only one going, I go into withdrawal. I’m really surprised I’ve gotten so crazy, but on the other hand, it allows me to indulge whatever mood I’m in at the moment, instead of just when I’m picking the book.
How about you? Serial monogamist, or promiscuous reader?